HER STRENGTH! - THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH @99




Queen Elizabeth, The Queen of England, and her husband, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh


If there’s one union on earth that I’ve always truly admired it’ll be that of the Queen of England and her husband (who is not a king).


Although, it appears that the union has been posed to always appear nothing less than perfect, however, the feigned perfection is not what I admire. I adore their consistency, faith, and loyalty to one another.


Prince Philip, now late(1921-2021), was the true definition of ‘husband material. I loved him!


My love for him tripled when I saw the movie series THE CROWN! The movie which portrayed him as both loyal, spirited, loving, understanding, and dogged got me rolling over for his personality. He didn’t always have to ‘do as the Queen says, he had his own influence on her as well even as he bowed before her as Queen. On various occasions he knelt before her and apologized when he was wrong (although behind closed doors, just between him and his Queen), he compromised, and most times buried his ego. He was willful and firm, it was for him Prince Charles, their son, attended Gordonstoun college instead of Eton college - the Queen’s preference.

Scenes from the movie - The Crown

I wondered why they both lived together for this long, and even waxed stronger as they grow older, and I can tell you that it’s not just because they were in love with each other, (because of course, they might have fallen out of love a number of times, and also got bored of each other’s company at various points) but also because they knew who they were to one another - partners, and not ‘Queen and subordinate’, not master and slave, not boss and worker, not ‘I am the man, and you’re my subject’, but partners. 


They saw themselves as partners in the institution of marriage. Partners who understood each other’s flaws, partners who worked together to achieve a sole objective. This ‘togetherness’ held their bond for a looooog time that nothing could break. For the records, they’ve been married for 74 years. Even God was happy to let them grow old together, as He alone has the key to more life!


In as much as love is the bedrock of any relationship, I’ve always thought that love alone cannot stand a relationship, especially an institution such as marriage. In my opinion, some of the pillars of marriage include understanding, forgiveness, loyalty, humility, and submissive, all of these qualities from both partners and not from one alone. Marriages these days most often have cracks because some of the responsibilities which are supposed to be done by both parties are pushed to one. They make it look like faithfulness, humility and tolerance are only to be expected from the woman and not the man. When things are so, the ship becomes weighted only on one end, and it is imbalanced; it is most likely to wreck!


They were both a force - The Queen and Prince Philip.


As I was reflecting on the reasons why the Queen’s marriage with Prince Philip waxed stronger, a very ludicrous idea popped somewhere in my mind: “Maybe it’s because they didn’t sleep in the same bedroom”, for this reason, they both had their peace and their space! 😃 I said to myself. But I’m not very sure about that now. Lol... The Queen and her husband were very prudent about their marital life. They didn’t have to make a ‘show’ of how much they both loved each other, in public. Do you know that they hardly ever held hands in public? What a bizarre love life!


Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh

According to BBC News, the Queen called him her ‘strength and stay’! I worry so much about the impact of Prince Phillip’s demise, I worry about how the Queen who is expected to ‘show no emotions’, ‘no sign of weakness’, ‘no mood of happiness or sadness’; will in her ‘stoicness’ react to this great irreplaceable vacuum! 

What happens now that the Queen’s strength gone? Oh, poor woman! I feel for her. He was her adviser, her confidant, her friend, and her lover.


It’s a wrecking fall.


Now, I dunno if to say ‘Long live the Queen’, or if it’s better to say ‘More strength the Queen’!


I admired your strength too, but now he is gone! I pray for the fortitude to bear this great loss! Your majesty!

Rest In Peace Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.

 The Royal Family



©️Progressoberiko 

FacebookInstagramLinkedIn.

Comments

  1. This is a really interesting piece on the royal family. As a fan of #TheCrown series myself, I find it quite inspiring and awesome that such an unrelenting love could come out of their marriage, even when the established royal institution never wanted to support it in the first place.
    Great writeup and nice work done!👍👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

This Gender! (Part 1)

ONE CHANCE

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

ONE BIG FAMILY CALLS FOR HELP

PLANTAIN SELLER TURNS ECOBANK AMBASSADOR

My HUSTLE

ONE BIG FAMILY...THE PARTY!

Dear International Student...