What’s next?

 



I’ve just completed my Master’s degree, and out of every ten ‘congratulations’ I receive, 99% of them are followed by the question: “So Progress, what’s next”? And some people even add “Ph.D. right”?  


I keep getting tons and tons of this same question from people, which is why I’m writing this.


First of all, like this, nobody should mention Ph.D. in my ears o! Please allow my brain to recuperate!😏 I take God beg una. Lol


But on a more serious note, I think that as humans, most times we focus too much on acquiring, hoarding, and taking; both in terms of wealth and knowledge.


We aspire to get this and become that, which can be a good thing as well as bad. I read of a Nigerian man who recently acquired his second Ph.D. after having 3 Master's degrees and 3 Bachelors's degrees. And my only question was, what for?


We want to acquire all the knowledge and degree, which is not a bad thing, but the question is: 


⁉️When are you going to start applying all the knowledge that you’ve acquired? 


⁉️When will you start giving back, and impacting your generation with what you’ve acquired.


⁉️When are you going to start DOING?



I’m a lover of education; I crave knowledge every day of my life. And I do think it is absolutely brilliant climbing from one academic ladder to another - from BSc/HND ➡️ Masters degree ➡️ Ph.D. ➡️ Professorship, etc - But I think it makes more sense when you’re GIVING as you’re TAKING. 


Sadly, some people don’t even know why they pursue certain dreams in life - educational or business. For some, it’s for the title and status that come with those certifications, and it is a shame if that is one’s sole objective.



I think of myself as one who is full of potentials, and one of my biggest fears in life is to die without unleashing these potentials;

Without letting the world know who I am or what I’ve got;

Without expending God’s gift in my life.


Faculty of Media, Arts & Humanities  - Uni Sussex


I don’t want to leave the world silent. Don’t wanna slip away like I never existed. I believe that I have been given, and so I’m looking for ways to give back!


This for me is the ideology behind why I do what I do; 

The ideology behind acquiring knowledge.


Maybe I’ll do my Ph.D. someday, also, maybe not! But if I ever make a choice to, it will not just be because I want to have a Ph.D. certificate, but rather, because I have identified a NEED that I wish to solve with the knowledge that comes with a Ph.D. degree. 


Before embarking on any educational pursuit, stop and ask yourself these questions:


⛔️Why am I doing this?

⛔️ Will generations ever get to feed on my banquet of knowledge?🤔


As you already know: “The grave is the wealthiest place you can think of” because many who came here went back without giving back!


Stop hoarding, start doing!

Let me know if you share a different opinion. 


FacebookInstagramLinkedIn.





First Day @School 
Master's Degree Done & Dusted!

On Completion of My Masters

                                                                





First Day At School
                                    



Author  - Progress Oberiko

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

This Gender! (Part 1)

ONE CHANCE

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

ONE BIG FAMILY CALLS FOR HELP

PLANTAIN SELLER TURNS ECOBANK AMBASSADOR

My HUSTLE

ONE BIG FAMILY...THE PARTY!

Dear International Student...