Proudest thing ever!

 





One of the proudest things I’ve done in my life is resigning from a toxic work environment.


I once worked with this Start-up organization, where the CEO was a real bossy boss. 


He was walking in his “CEO shoes” every day of his life, he was so obsessed with achieving his dream for his org that he cared less about his employees! 


We would use our personal emails and our personal mobile number to reach out to clients. 


I remember suggesting that a work phone should be provided for me because the clients were beginning to encroach on my personal space, but I was told off and tagged a complainer.


In so many ways we were going out of our way to help him achieve his goals for his organization, yet these sacrifices meant nothing to him. 


He kept demanding more. 


He’d give us tasks that encroached into our weekends even though working weekends wasn’t part of our employment contract, and when we fell short of delivery he’d scold us so harshly, making us feel like we were not hardworking enough. 


He’d use the “F” word and other profanities when speaking to us in an angry tone, he’d tell us how much other people are dying to work for his org and ask us to go to hell if we weren’t ready to do the job.


He’d take more time than needed when having meetings.


We’d work extra time without pay. Etc 


I remember informing him that I wanted to further my studies whilst I continued working there, I asked if I could work fewer hours on certain days, and he responded that I could as well quit the job, so he can employ someone else. 


This was really blunt and heartbreaking. Because at the time I really needed the job, and here he was asking me to choose between my education and a job. 


Apparently, there was no room for upskilling or staff improvement such as studying whilst I’m on the job. 



For him, there are many fishes in the river, so he could easily employ someone else to take my place. He felt like we needed his job more than he needed us.


This attitude was taking a toll on my productivity, it made me feel less valuable and less confident and I was almost losing my self-esteem. Not to forget that I also had a bully as a manager, who used every opportunity she got to bully me. And my boss who was aware of this, tolerated her.



One day I came to a decision that I needed to resign! And it took me a lot of courage to resign! I resigned with nothing to fall back to, I was broke for a while, but I felt so proud of myself for making that decision.


I’ve always prioritized my mental and emotional well-being above anything else, including a job, and this was the bedrock of my decision to resign! 



However, it’ll interest you to know that two weeks after my resignation the PR also resigned, and a month after that, three other staff (including my bully manager) resigned from the same organization after I left. 


This story might sound fictional and exaggerated like many LinkedIn stories, lol, but it is the gospel truth! 


Although this happened years ago, the experience left me with some trauma.


But I’ve since healed from this toxic experience since I joined The Winch


Everything I’ve experienced at the winch has been the complete opposite of what I experienced in my previous work environment. It is just like getting out of an abusive relationship into a healthy one. It leaves you feeling surreal and whole again!



At The Winch,

  • There’s room to learn, adapt and grow, 
  • Room to accommodate your uniqueness, within a flexible structure, rather than trying to fit yourself into a particular structure,
  • There’s room for training in the skills you may be lacking in.
  • There’s a sense of inclusion where your ideas and contributions are accepted and implemented.
  • There’s respect, love, and an extremely friendly work environment 
  • You’re never alone, there’s constant check-in and support 
  • No unhealthy competition or office politics 
  • There’s genuine care, concern, and priority for your well-being 
  • I had a boss, Rashid Iqbal, who was very approachable, understanding, and unassuming!
  • Going to work every morning was such a joy to wake up to!
  • I can go on and on!

When I first started working at The Winch, I had a lot of anxiety, stemming from my previous unpleasant work experience. But again, the environment helped me overcome it. 


I’ve worked here now for 1year + and I still don’t know if I’ll ever find a work environment that compares to The Winch. 🧡



Just like my previous work experience, many employees are going through this same toxic situation in their workplace but have no choice but to remain there! I don’t know what your reasons are, but I pray you find a place deserving of your presence, skills, and knowledge!



What makes an organization is not the building, but the people within that organization! 


This is therefore a challenge to all CEOs, managers, employers, and employees, be mindful of how you treat people within the workplace!


People will forget what you told them, they’ll forget what you gave them, but they’ll never forget HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL!


More Winch photos:




Linkedin Facebook Instagram Twitter 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BULLY AUNT

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

The Lagos Gala Hawker That Gave Prisoners Free Gala Is Now A Retail Store Owner

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

My HUSTLE

SUCKING

Different Gospels

BDSM

ONE CHANCE