Quick short story...




So I’ve always wanted to model, to be on a billboard, do fashion, makeup, or something. It’s a passion I had low-key. Not because of the cliched assumption that “every tall slim girl should be a model”, but because I loved myself so much, and wished to put myself out there. 


This pushed me to apply to many modeling agencies back in Nigeria. I applied left, right and center, but with no luck. Though I had reservations. And my reservations were that I didn’t fancy bikini modeling or pageantry. I knew what I wanted, so I just kept pitching and reaching out to loads and loads of agencies, but without any success. 


So one day, I found an advert on a billboard, by a modeling agency calling for models. I showed up on the day of the audition amongst many other young girls, but I got turned down because I asked questions. Lol


Here’s how it happened: 


So after the audition, I was selected. And part of the process required filling some forms and signing off a contract. I sat down carefully reading through the papers and contract detail, but as it seemed, they wanted us (the models) to quickly sign the contracts without reading them. 


I read through every line of it and asked the manager for some clarification, but obviously, my “intelligence”/ “curiosity” didn’t quite sit well with him. He couldn’t provide answers to what I asked, and his response was that if I know I really want to be a model I shouldn’t be asking questions, and I should just sign!


This was in Abuja, Nigeria, in 2019! 


I walked away without signing! I focused on doing other things that welcomed me. And someday somehow in London, what I wanted wanted me too!




























Fast forward to January this year (2021) in London, I saw a Facebook ad by a modeling agency and applied. But after showing up for the photoshoot & audition, and again being selected, something just didn’t sit well with me. They wanted me to pay some huge amount here and there, and it was an immediate payment!


Again, I walked away!






Couple months later, I began volunteering for Crisis UK, a Charity that focuses on ending homelessness in the UK. My role as a volunteer had nothing to do with modeling, but rather I worked as a Retail Sales Person at one of their Charity shops in London, to raise funds by selling pre-loved items, and also, to engage with people; some of whom have been previously homeless.  I found this role quite interesting and very fulfilling. As things turned out, the Organisation wanted to launch an e-commerce version of their Charity shop, and they needed people to model the clothes they had for sale. This opportunity was made available for people who volunteered for the Charity, and the Shop Manager contacted me. She said, “Progress, there is this opportunity to be a volunteer model for our online shop, and since you appear to be quite fashionable it would be great if you can volunteer to represent our branch in the photoshoot”…


The rest, they say, is history.


Today, I’m on several front shops/billboards in this city called London! 😊

Looking at these photos and how far they’ve gone, I think what I wanted eventually found me!


❤️❤️❤️

FacebookInstagramLinkedIn.

A screenshot of shopfromcrisis website


Crisis Shop - South London
Photo taken and sent by a friend with the caption "Look who I saw from the bus today".
Crisis shop - Hackney, London.


Crisis Shop - Peckham




Progress Oberiko - 2016 Nigeria
Progress Oberiko - 2018,  Nigeria.




2021 - London
2021 - London















Comments

  1. Every word you penned was enjoyable to read. I wanted to be a model when I was younger because I had the look and figure for it, but I had a drawback when contacts, agency executives (particularly men) asked me out. To avoid falling prey, I had to put an end to that goal and focus on something else.

    By the way, you have a lovely smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback, Daniel. And yes, some of these modelling agencies are just a fraud. However, there are many other interesting things to engage with asides from modelling.

      Delete
  2. I was so happy reading this. I loved that you weren't desperate and you took your time to read and ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Desperation helps no one. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

This Gender! (Part 1)

ONE CHANCE

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

ONE BIG FAMILY CALLS FOR HELP

PLANTAIN SELLER TURNS ECOBANK AMBASSADOR

My HUSTLE

ONE BIG FAMILY...THE PARTY!

Dear International Student...