This blog shares the author's authentic stories, and personal anecdotes on life. It promises to offer an inspiring read to its readers and hopes to make a positive impact in the life of its readers.
33k For Corpers as Buhari Signs New Wage Bill Into Law
Something horrible happened to me recently. Turns out it is one of my 2021 highlights Quite a lengthy read tho... I was all packed to leave for Brighton from London. Had one piece of luggage and a backpack, with my purse hanging in front of me. Got on the bus, then on a train and then landed at the National rail station to board to Brighton. It would take 8mins for the train to arrive so I sat on a waiting chair where a young man was already seated, greeted him with a smile and sat beside him, with my backpack on the middle seat separating us. Train arrived and I jumped on it, sat on a seat beside the toilet but decided to move to another cos of how close it was to the toilet. My earphones were plugged in throughout most of the journey. One & half hours into the journey we arrived at Brighton and people were already stood up waiting to alight, I noticed my backpack was missing.π³π€― Scurried over and under my seat, see if it was there, but no, it wasn’t. Left...
Feminism is one subject that comes with a lot of different baggage, and over time I’ve seen the sprout of different facets of feminism. In Nigeria, which I know of, there’s an amount of negativity attached to the title “feminist” or the word “feminism”, both from self-acclaimed feminists and from society. And this is because the word feminism translates to different things for different people who identify with this title. A feminist can be: 1. A woman who fancies and promotes the idea that women are in no way less than men, hence should have equal opportunities and be treated fairly in society. 2. A single and heartbroken lady who therefore thinks all “men are scum”. 3. An aggrieved/hurt lady who takes out her annoyance by blasting men under the ideology of feminism. (But automatically changes her ideas of men when she finally falls in love with one helplessly). 4. A lady who doesn’t fancy the idea of marriage, or has attained a certain age where sh...
It’s almost three months now since I shared his story with you all. And the past three months has recorded an enormous recovery for Chibuike. Remember the kid who had a distressing eye condition which resulted from particles of bottles which splashed into his eyes while he was running an errand, yeah that’s him! click here to read So after removal of the bottles particles in Chibuike’s left eye, doctors reported that the injury left a major scar which may not permit it to function as the right eye. At first, one of the doctors opined that the injured left eye would have to be removed, so that the uninjured right eye does not end up sympathizing with it, resulting in a damage of both eyes, but after a major SCAN and further consultations, Dr. said removal will not be necessary. Chibuke during one of his appointments with the doctor So we were recommended to buy a series of prescribed drugs, and a combination of various eye drops back to back which were ad...
#ONE_BIG_FAMILY It’s been over two months since their story shook the internet. A family of five that was known for their bizarre lifestyle and affliction. Ben, his wife and three kids for over seven years roamed the hinterlands of Bekwarra-Ogoja, Cross River State in search of nothing in particular. Adorned in their customary rags and spotting dreadlocks, which is typical of insane people in Nigeria, they found a home sleeping in open fields and in the cold. Two months after
My hand luggage and backpack were meticulously packed for the journey, and since they were pretty portable, I decided to keep them with me instead of getting them checked in. On arrival at security checks, I was asked to declare all my liquids, and with a clean conscience, I brought out all my deodorants, perfumes, body lotion, liquid soap, toothpaste, makeup foundation, etc... It took me by surprise when, at once, the immigration officer gathered together all the above items (excluding one of the smallest bottles of my perfume) and said to me: “we’ll have to trash these”. π³ You said…? I asked him like I didn’t hear him quite well the first time. And he firmly repeated himself: “We’ll have to put these ones in the bin”, he paraphrased. At that point, I was like “trash”? “Bin”? What’s the relationship between my newly purchased body cream and the bin? I really wasn’t clear what he meant and why for goodness sake he’ll want to shove all my stuff in the bin. Maybe the...
The first time someone used this phrase with me, I wasn’t sure what she meant. In Nigeria, people say “it’s a shame” when they imply that someone has done something shameful or disgraceful. But in England, it’s not exactly so. So one day I was unable to make an appointment because I wasn’t feeling well enough, and when I called to inform my British colleague of this disappointment, she replied “Oh dear, it’s a shame”, and I’m like “Shame? Shame on who”? I wasn’t exactly sure how to react, but it absolutely didn’t go down well with me because of my preexisting understanding of the phrase. On more than one occasion, I was on a chat with someone and I expressed my disappointment about the rain which has disrupted my plans for the day, and the response from this person was “It’s a shame”. This got me a bit confused. Why am I being “shamed” for all of these? π€·♀️ I was too embarrassed to ask anyone what they meant by the phrase. So I had to ask google, and I found t...
There’s this lady in my church who always came to mass with her 7yr old son. I’ve never seen a kid as noisy and as restless as he is. He’d run to and fro the altar while mass is on, he’d run around the church until his mom chased and got him to sit down. He’d roll on the floor and refuse to stand up even when his mom tries to get him off the floor, and then she’ll have to drag him along the ground to get him off there. This drama continues every Sunday, and it could be quite distracting and irritating, worse part is that they liked sitting at the very front of the church. I’ve never heard him say a word/sentence, the only thing he keeps screaming is “heeee hehe” now and then. Perhaps he’s deaf and dumb? He’d tell his mom he wants to “pee” by saying “weeee”—which was quite difficult to differentiate from his usual “heeee”—but in this case, he places his hands on his private area to show that he needs to urinate. One Sunday, the boy went in his usual screams “hee-hee”, and the old woman ...
I want to tell you stories about my gender. One happened when I visited Scotland; I’ll tell the others in my subsequent posts. I visited a friend who had two daughters. In her kitchen my friend has this small corner dedicated to her daughter. In that corner there was a “kids kitchen” made of toy pots, gas cookers, utensils etc. She said she wanted her daughter to learn how to cook. So I asked her a question: “If your daughter was a boy will you still buy this toy kitchen for him and teach him how to cook”? She paused and stared at me. With a face like: “what kind of question is that”? She responded and said: “No, I won’t!” “Why should I buy a toy kitchen for my male child”? She asked. And turned to continue cooking. You see, many a time, we as parents and women, including those clamoring “equal rights for women” and those who claim to be “feminist”, we have a huge role to play in this race of “Gender equity and fairness”. It starts from your homes! From the toys you buy your kids, ...
Looking for an apartment in London is like looking for a life partner. Very similar characteristics: You’ll see the one with a good location: proximity to market, bus station, etc, but has a tiny tiny room. π€¦π»♀️ If you eventually find one of good size, the rent price will be enough to buy land in your home country! If you say you should go for a shared apartment to save cost, you will see the one with too many flatmates (4-7 people under one roof)! With a high tendency of noise and discord! And I don’t recommend this if you’re a student! You will also see the one that has only one bathroom (with like 7 Flatmates sharing it), and you’ll literally have to queue to shower! You will also find houses where flatmates have pets—pets that’ll be sharing the kitchen with you π₯ . And if you’re someone like me who has a phobia for animals, you’re finished! It’s just so difficult to find one that ticks all the boxes, especially if you’re on a budget: Space, locatio...
I eventually saw the end of this book as I promised. Yaaaay! It may not seem like an achievement to others but I count it as such because for the past few years I’ve not been able to bring myself to complete reading a book. As a matter of truth, I still have Chimamanda’s ‘ Half of a Yellow Sun ’ on my bookshelf, waiting to be completed. It was one of the gifts I received on my 21st birthday, and I found it quite captivating at the beginning when I started reading. But once I got to the chapter where it spoke more about the Biafra war and politics, I saw my interest dwindling. Not a fan of politics at all. But now, I think I need to return to that book, maybe not just to continue from the page I left off, but to start all over again. So, on my way to Scotland, I ran into a duty-free shop at the airport and saw some really good books that got me salivating, and I got this Harvard Business Review series on Emotional Intelligence focusing on Confidence. Not confidence as you know it,...
Comments
Post a Comment