KITCHEN EXPLORER!





I told myself that I’d have a handful of the knowledge of all the delicacies in Cross River State, because I was born to explore, I like trying new things; I took a break from all the “Banga soup”, “Owho soup”, and “Egusi soup” which I was already used to, from Adam, and promised to try all the strange edibles there is, in the state. And trust me, I did!

I’d go to the market having just the name of the soup I was gonna prepare on my mind, but with zero knowledge of its MOP (Method of preparation). But I had a tutor. I met her in the market, and she became my acquaintance. I found out that I could talk to her; I always asked questions about one unfamiliar soup or the other.
Her shop was my first stop when I arrive the market.
She: Corper, what are you cooking today?
Me: I learned there’s one they call “GREEN SOUP”. Abeg, how dem take dey cook am?
She: Smiles, “Kopa Kopa! 'Green soup' dey make sense o". Try it. You’ll like it.

And that’s how she ends up convincing me to try the delicacy. She’d tell me what ingredients to buy, and meticulously explain the method of preparation, promising to visit me and try the soup, but never does.

She is my kitchen guide, and cooking was fun, because she gat my back. Hence I always looked forward to the next new soup on my menu.

She made me try various anomalous vegetables, “Edikan-ikon soup", “White soup”, “Afang soup", and the famous “Mfi” (suckable unshelled periwinkle) that made this soup wild and super.

She's only a petty trader, selling all sorts of vegetables in the market. She's a young and vibrant woman; I always saw her carry her little child on her back while taking orders and attending hospitably to customers. She's loving, very hardworking and industrious; and that's exactly what attracted me to her.

I owe her one; when I don make am, I’ll surely remember her, just to bless her hustle.
As you read through this, you too can out of your benevolence, extend a hand of love to this beautiful lady. I believe she has the potentials of expanding her small business table, and touch more lives with her sweetness.
God Bless!

See pictures of some of the delicacies I learned from her below...
Goundnut soup with assorted beef parts
Smoked Fish and kpormor
                   


Green Soup with "Mfi" (Unshelled Periwinkle)
Smoked Fish and Kpormor 
                   

A cooking pot of "Afang Soup" with smoked fish and "Mfi"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

This Gender! (Part 1)

ONE CHANCE

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

ONE BIG FAMILY CALLS FOR HELP

PLANTAIN SELLER TURNS ECOBANK AMBASSADOR

My HUSTLE

ONE BIG FAMILY...THE PARTY!

Dear International Student...