“Keep an eye on her”...

 



I did something today that I’m really proud of, even though I ended up breaking down in tears after — Calling out racism!


I’ve met lovely people across all races since I moved to the UK. I’ve had very pleasant and memorable experiences.


But I’ve also encountered people who left me with unpalatable experiences. One very repetitive disgusting experience is RACISM! 

I don’t care how covert it is, it is evident and it absolutely disgusting!


So today I discovered a massive mall not very far from me and I went on a tour. It is called Exchange mall located in Illford East London! 


One of the shops I visited was TK Maxx, I looked around a bit as I window shopped, and on my way out as I approached the exit door, I saw a security staff dutifully positioned there. 


I clearly heard one of his colleagues giving him an instruction through his walkie-talkie phone. He said, “The Black Female approaching, keep an eye on her”. 


Now, I was the only Black female approaching the exit. The only other persons exiting the shop were two White ladies, both walking together, one pushing a baby buggy, however, the instruction was not to keep an eye on them but rather, on the “Black female” which was me! 


I saw how his gaze was fixated on me as I approached, and he watched me walk through the door without any beeps from the security buzzer.


I shook my head as I exited, knowing how disappointed he’d be as he watched right behind me. 


I honestly felt terrible!


I had walked down to the nearest bus station to go back home while brooding over this disgusting experience, but I just couldn’t continue my journey. I sat somewhere, feeling partly broken! And at once I decided to walk back to the shop to speak to the security staff.


I tried to be as diplomatic as possibly during my confrontation but I just couldn’t help it when I broke down in tears as my voice grew louder and shaky! I was so emotional. 


(I managed to record a video of the confrontation


My face after crying 



Apparently, he denied that I was the one being targeted. But deep down he knows he’s lying!


This isn’t the first time I’ve experienced racism in such a manner, but this one hit me hard that I had to call it out!


Just like many shops, there was a security buzzer right at the exit point of the shop that if someone had stolen something it would have beeped! Yet they thought there was a need for an extra security man “keeping an eye” on certain people. 


What’s the need for extra security when it comes to a certain group of people? 


Why was he intentionally mounted there when a Black person was exiting the shop?


And why on earth was he being instructed to keep an eye on me? 


I didn’t have a gun, 

I wasn’t roughly dressed, 

and I wasn’t seen stealing or taking any item unpaid!


If the instruction wasn’t targeted at me as he claims I wonder who it was targeted at. 


Because an instruction that says “keep an eye on the Black female approaching” when I was the only Black female approaching the door at the time is too clear to be denied!


If as a Black female I can be targeted like this, what about a Black male?

 

This is the everyday experience of an average Black skinned person, and it is hundred percent disheartening! I wish it wasn’t the case! 


I wish that everyone can be seen and respected for who they are, and not judged for what they’re not!


It’s almost impossible to overlook and put up with such racist behavior! It’s just like having a gun being pointed at you and you’re expected to not react because you’re innocent. Even an innocent person will feel unsafe with a gun.

 

And it’s often not about looks as they claim.

 I always put an effort into how I look to avoid being profiled or labeled, but no matter how sophisticated I dress, I still get profiled regardless!


So apparently, it’s not a matter of “she’s dressed roughly that’s why we suspect her”. It is way beyond that! More about skin color! 


Stop targeting Black people! Nobody deserves to be judged by their looks, gender, race, or skin color! 


And the sad part is that most of my experiences of racism are with Asians! People who like myself are immigrants, Nonwhite, and minorities!


This is disheartening!

Racism is horrible!


No matter how privileged you think you are because of your skin color, you have absolutely no right to profile someone else!


I believe that one of the ways to curb racism is by naming it and shaming it! Not by tolerating it!


Even though you’re someone from a “privileged” background, and you noticed you’re being given preferential treatment, question it. Call it out! Ask why you’re being treated this way and why the other person gets less treatment! 


Don’t just sit and enjoy your privilege!


LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Instagram 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BULLY AUNT

CALABAR CARNIVAL 6...Wahala

The Lagos Gala Hawker That Gave Prisoners Free Gala Is Now A Retail Store Owner

CALABAR CARNIVAL 4...THE QUEEN ON FIRE!

CALABAR BIKE CARNIVAL 2

My HUSTLE

SUCKING

Different Gospels

BDSM

ONE CHANCE